Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You Can Run, But You Can't Hide

Stow–verb (used with object)


1. Nautical .

a. to put (cargo, provisions, etc.) in the places intended for them.


Key words being “places intended for them” …This is the almost opposite of what Julia and I did with confetti eggs. As you learned in Glue Lesson 101, trouble ALWAYS found us! This adventure is no different, except we got into trouble before our real, planned adventure was to begin. It was sometime in the early Spring (pardon my memory it was a long time ago) when we took confetti eggs; you know the kind you empty out and fill with paper and glitter of the sorts—very exciting to us, as we could cause some serious mischief with the boys down the street from the apartment complex (one of these boys just so happened to be the son of my family’s optometrist) And yes, shamefully, I said took… you see earlier that day we found these beautiful little creations and took a few complimentary ones. A reward for us being… well, us! Later that night we put them in a basket and onto a top shelf buried in the back of Jul’s closet and would soon forget about their existence. We didn’t want to be caught taking stuff that didn’t belong to us. Truth be told, I don’t really remember where or how we got them.

One summer night, we rediscovered them… game plan: throw them at the building next door and run like present day Usain Bolt into a tree (yes, we were tree climbers… Julia mastered climbing along with the rap of TLC’s “Don’t Go Chasing Waterfalls”… both skills she later taught me). Problem… we got a little bit excited and cracked one of the “confetti” eggs… just to find out *GAG reflex*… it wasn’t a confetti egg… it was a real egg that had ROTTED! Just the thought of the rancid stench makes me want to vomit! It was SO bad her mom was able to smell it (with the door closed) from two rooms away! Hence the trouble… we not only had to explain why we were caught playing with a rotten egg or where it had come from, but what we were planning on doing with it… and then had to try to get rid of the smell—we were in SO much trouble that I was thiiis close to being sent back home for the night. But I am sure Ms. Yuri thought it was more of a punishment for me to have to stay and smell rotten egg all night! Those dang eggs deceived us! What looked like fun turned out to be nothing but malodorous mischief!

Deception is a horrible thing, yet we are surrounded by it every . single . day of our lives! A few examples thought up by myself and Miss P:

• Sour patch kids say “naturally a fat free food” except HELLO what does sugar turn into when it doesn’t metabolize?

• Spanx make us all look slim but eventually you have to take them off before you get into bed

• Burberry is an English brand and yet inside the label reads “Made in Italy” … better than Mexico or China, but still!

• Big Game Bob looks calm like he’s got everything under control.. and then we lose via statue of freaking liberty

• Country male singers look 30 with a hat on, but 50 when they take it off

• “Cubed” in appliance-ville really means crescents and not 6 sided cubes

• Holding up the pinky… beware, it’s really just a more polite way of giving the middle finger, “the bird,” invented by me and Eggo, but its expanding rapidly

“Any seeming deception in a statement is costly, not only in the expense of the advertising but in the detrimental effect produced upon the customer, who believes she has been misled.” – John Wannamaker

You don’t want to walk the path of a woman who feels led astray, its one tough road to hoe.

… And the prize for the worst smelling deception goes to the “confetti” eggs, but the award for best deceptor of all time, I believe, belongs to the human heart.

In the past, I followed my heart, but it turns out it always lead me to what I needed to fill my short term need, what felt right at that moment, or what I desired instantly. And that is not always what is best for you.

It is my new full time job to learn to lead my heart; relying on my head to do what is right for the long term and for the future, but being okay with leaning on my heart for guidance, emotion, and passion.

The best of both worlds.
Should be a nice little adventure, but without the trouble- Fingers Crossed!

Dear Julia, Please be on standby, as I may need you to bail me a few hundred more times in my life. Love, Am

No comments:

Post a Comment