Monday, August 30, 2010

Disciplined Indulgence: Inner Beauty is for Amateurs


Uneven bars, floor routines, and tumble tracks all entertained me as a child, but my most favorite apparatus in the gym was the balance beam. I never fully was aware of how important the skill of balancing would become to my daily grownup life. At the time I was more worried about learning how to turn on one foot and how to perfectly land my dismount… and honestly, a bigger fear was making sure my orange glittery nail polish (named Boys Drool) matched my bright blue multi-colored polka dot leotard. I learned at a young age how important it was to dress for your itinerary.

Perhaps that was the reason my first phrases as a child were “Money for Macy’s” and when my dad would kindly reply with the question, “How much?” I would sweetly ask for, “Thirty bucks please.” If karma comes in the form of your kids, I am in T-ROUBLE!

Anyway, a few weeks ago, my sister came to me with a quote she had found online:

“The average woman would rather have beauty than brains

because the average man can see better than he can think.”

We both got a great laugh out of this. Though it made me really wonder is this true? Are you willing to sacrifice brains for beauty? When consulting with a plethora of friends over this topic, I got responses ranging from a simple “yes” or “no” to “I have enough brains to figure out how to be beautiful”… to “I like to think of my husband as the brains behind my beauty and it makes us actually work really well” – thinking to myself later, what the heck does that even mean?!

Then one late night a simultaneous phone conversation and facebook chat with two great friends occurred and we all came to the SAME conclusion at the SAME time. It must be divine intervention because not just one, but THREE light bulbs went off. I feel my friend stated it best when he typed, “I couldn’t be with someone I wasn’t attracted to, nor could I be with someone who I couldn’t have a conversation with.” 110% Agree; conclusion: everything is a balancing act. I would like to mention that as important as it is for a female to have both beauty AND brains in order to attract a decent male companion, it is also important for men to have intellect and good looks as well. We don’t want to find out our knight in shining armor is really some idiot in tinfoil.

Similarly to the relationship advice my father always gives, “…learn to pick and choose your battles. It’s always about give and take, Amber… yada yada” I feel again like this is proof there are things in life we have no choice but to balance.

Here is a short list of things in life I sometimes struggle with balancing…

1. Give and Take

2. Pain and Pleasure

3. Sweet and Sour

4. High Maintenance and Low Key

5. Work and Play

6. Saving and Spending

7. Indulging in Sweets and Working Out

Currently, I am reading two books. (I have successfully catapulted down the path of reading as my new hobby) The second one that just arrived is FABULOUS, so incredible that Hollywood turned it into a movie which I am choosing not to see until I have completed this book. Shouldn’t be too hard because until I started writing this blog, I haven’t been able to get my eyes off the text of Eat, Pray, Love.

This book is providing words that I desperately needed to hear. Elizabeth Gilbert writes of her journey to find balance by taking a year long trip around Italy, India, and Indonesia. She sought after the things I am currently seeking. “I want to learn how to live in this world and enjoy its delights, but also devote myself to God.” … “I want worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence- the dual glories of a human life… the singular balance of the good and the beautiful…”

As difficult as it is to sometimes balance beauty and brains, I am fully prepared to immerse myself in one of the toughest balancing acts to date. Through text and prayer I will seek purpose, significance, and the essential balance my heart and life require. One step at a time, one foot in front of the other; just like walking across the balance beam. Practice makes perfect.

I am fully aware of the discipline this will require and fully unaware of when I will achieve it. I intend to move from anxiety to peace and will send you a postcard when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment