Monday, August 16, 2010

How Sweet It Is...

With the exception of high caloric ingredients and the occasional bad server, I am a fan of eating at restaurants. They are a great excuse to dress up and socialize, you order anything you like the way you want it, its brought to you and cleaned up after you. Delightful! However, I am not normally a fan of The Buffet… not of Cici’s or high dollar ones found in Disney World. I feel overwhelmed, obligated to fill my plate with food that often shouldn’t all go in the same meal, and end up eating my body weight in dessert 100% of the time. There are only two exceptions to this: a breakfast buffet (It’s my most favorite meal but I rarely wake up early enough to fix a great dish) and a fro-yo buffet (self serve frozen yogurt store with a toppings bar the size of Texas).

"Welcome to Tutti Frutti, would you like a sample cup (meaning 1/4th the size of a dixie cup)"… My answer is always YES! Shamefully, I must admit that I have been there twice in the last week and a half! As I walk around with my STACK of little sample cups, I try almost all the flavors especially the new one… (there is ALWAYS a new one!) Even though I always choose the same thing… ½ cheesecake, ½ twist of cake batter and red velvet cake as my base. Onto the toppings… this is where I diversify off Normal Street and like to mix it up, just a bit… Oreo, strawberry and sprinkles are the staple then I just pick and choose based off of what my taste buds desire that day.

Then comes the WORST part: the Weigh In. Ugh, I just decided right this instant that scales are rarely good to me, if ever! I utterly despise them-- more than socks with sandals, even more than paying tolls and taxes… Regardless, it’s a fact of life. I swipe the plastic and then the world stands still as I get lost in Fro Yo Heaven.

Amidst everything, I have a tendency to fantasize about how wonderful it would have been to have a dating buffet. If you could set a foundation of what you wanted, then add on personality traits or physical features in the quantities you desire… a large scoop of loving kindness, a pinch of sarcasm, two spoonfuls of wit and intellect, a handful of laughter and fun, a mound of patience and respect, and top it off with GQ status good looks, etc. It’s not like I’m asking for the world…

Really, I have the simplest of tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

The problem lies in always wanting to come back and opt for something just a little different… a new flavor yogurt, a different amount of one ingredient, a replacement topping… We become addicted to the options that we aren’t ever going to be satisfied with just one dish. There is no such thing as “the best.” What sounds appealing on Monday could not quite “hit the spot” Friday.

I love that the world is full of endless possibilities & infinite opportunities. I love knowing the fro yo buffet is stocked full of countless toppings all days that end in a ‘y’. I have loved options my whole life, but recently, I would really enjoy having only one.

Perhaps just a simple, small frozen yogurt twist in a waffle cone with a cup full of filtered water on the side.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya girl. We have a place called pluckers down in Ft. Hood and I absolutely love the MONSTER boneless wings, flavors mild and Dr. Pepper. I always never finish it and still have the ok I bought it NOW FINISH IT. lol I am a guy sounding like a girl right now.....totally not cool Amber. ( Your blogs are so tantalizing though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thats funny! glad you can relate though, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete