Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Do You Believe in Magic?

It’s not anguish or resentment, sadness or regret, but sometimes the hardest thing to feel is happy… especially for someone else. The three time lottery winner in this place called “the Recession,” the new girl who gets to reap the benefits of a man that another girl spent years training, the unqualified professional catapulting up the ladder of success without a glitch.

Despite the desire to be the better person, it’s near impossible to be happy for someone else when you aren’t happy. [It just might be easier for a die hard Sooner fan to wear a sɐxǝʇ jersey all football season long.] It’s difficult to remember what makes you truly happy and excited when somebody else enters into the picture because as Sting sings, “every little thing (they) do is magic.” They give you the feelings people only write movies about, and those feelings are incredible! I often wish I could bottle them up and sell them on eBay—I would be a Billionaire! Every human heart deserves to feel like they are soaring at the top of the mountain without care, however, feelings change. Although feelings aren’t decided in a single day, they do change. It’s inevitable; people change, things change, and feelings change.

That’s why I believe you always need to create room for “Abracadabra” in your life; this can come in the form of a specific person, a group of friends, a favorite outfit, 174 calorie mouth watering cheesecake, hobbies, or a new app on the iPhone 4, etc. Let’s face it, since Happily Ever After is sometimes as far from reality as Greenland is to the Equator, we all need to find a little magic of our own somewhere. To remind ourselves of what makes us happy. It is a great time of the year to invest; I decided this as I passed 30 firework stands on the way to the lake Fourth of July weekend. Buy 1 Get 20 Free. Sounds like a great idea to me-

Men might have discovered how to make fire, but Women have mastered the art of playing with it… And my business card should read Pyro.

Fireworks are my absolute favorite thing.

I feel it’s only fair to defend those critics and say, I believe in magic. I am an optimist at heart, but I am learning that sometimes is more important to be a realist. And is absolutely imperative to be true to yourself and to your heart. Living for another human’s stamp approval is the dumbest concept I have ever heard… I just can’t process this... It makes me more disoriented than a snow storm in July; my iPhone’s service in East Texas; and going to another city to find out that the Hills came on at 9 instead of 9:30.

The irony is realizing the years I have been masking my own hurt by doing everything in my power to make everyone else around me happy. Maybe I was addicted to the pain of wanting to fulfill someone’s needs that many times seemed so unattainable… Whatever it might have been, I finally realized I had to let go, but it turns out there’s really nothing special about being free from standards if you still rely on someone else to make you happy.

I don’t want to undo it. I learned from it. I have moved on. And I still believe in magic.

From this day forward I will invest in myself, in Abracadabra, and will create my own happy… for when things in life that are supposed to be magical and fabulous run out of pixie dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment