Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fortune-It

As Beth Moore would agree, a great week means the menu has included Mexican food at least 3 times. (Clearly my favorite) My third favorite cuisine is any type of Asian and everything else ties at second place. Therefore, you can imagine my vast, utterly indescribable enthusiasm when I was informed that a bachelorette dinner for my friend Jennifer got moved from Uncle Julios to P.F. Changs.


As everyone’s order was being taken, I simply asked for a cocktail and four fortune cookies. As our waiter, Matt, questioned if that was all I wanted, I answered yes. Thinking the conversation was over, he informed me that normally there was a STRICT policy of only ONE fortune cookie per customer. I simply replied in my sweet, southern voice, “But Matt… I would like to be fortunate enough to choose my own fortune.” And so guess what? He brought me 5! And all five were pretty cliché- Bummer!

Since telling my friends of this event and my new love of fortune cookies, each time they order Chinese food, they are sure to pick up a fortune cookie for me and either deliver it or take a picture and text me my fortune. Last night was one of those times. Allow me to be completely transparent with you, my life has been a whirlwind of mass chaos and lots of tough situations. I even prayed (despite feeling as though I am on mute most of the time) that these decisions would work itself out because the stress and challenge of correctly assessing each one laid before me was simply too much. Then a series of events started to occur, similar to a domino effect, but in the worst of worse ways. I should have learned from Teddy Roosevelt’s shoe dilemma that when we allow the cobblestone to make choices for us, we end up having one shoe with a round toe and the other toe a square. I didn’t though.

So last night, once again wishing a magician would make my troubles disappear right along with his white, fluffy rabbit and thanks to friends ordering take out, I opened a fortune cookie. It read, “nothing is more difficult and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.” My jaw dropped faster than Usain Bolt can sprint 100 yards. It was most certainly a wake up call and about as pleasant as one. Looks like those cliché fortunes that P.F. Changs was gracious enough to make an exemption for, will come in handy as they read,

1. “you discover treasures where others see nothing unusual”

2. “a true friend in the market is greater than money in the purse”

3. “don’t put off till tomorrow what can be enjoyed today”

4. “emotions can be sweet and sour, so can your meal” (or drink,in my case; a cherry vodka sour)

What happens next is the scariest part- the recoil, aftermath, and damage to be incurred by those affected. The bright side, being able to decide while I am still fortunate enough to have some grasp of control. Not to mention, last time this same wave of excitement came crashing down on the shores of my reality when receiving tragic restaurant news, I discovered the greatness that is a fortune cookie.

And so the fifth fortune (that I was surprised with) will be my action plan, “time heals all wounds, keep your chin up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment