Wednesday, April 20, 2011

All I Ever Wanted Was Everything


There was a story once shared with me about how hunters trap monkeys in the jungle. Fresh fruit is placed inside clear jars positioned out in the open. The monkeys must make a tight fist in order to retrieve the fruit, but they get stuck because they can’t remove their hand AND the fruit. Their frustration lies in the determination to have it all. What they don’t realize is that if they were to just let go of the fruit, they could be free. Yet most monkeys can’t let go.

It is human nature to want to “have your (fruit) and eat it too.” I want to save money and I really want a new pair of Steve Madden patent red sandals. I want to eat fistfuls of carbs and I want to lose weight.  I want to have a career I love without sacrificing the paycheck. I want to tend a pretty garden and not worry about chipping off a segment of my manicure.

Just the other day, the tanning bed got the words of Faith Hill’s, “Let Me Let Go” stuck in my head. I admit that same night I broke out into my own encore rendition for an entire audience of shower products. Reminding me that we can’t keep holding on to what weighs us down if we want to fly.

Sometimes I find myself traveling with the majority of the population; holding on to things because I am fearful of never having a second or third chance at it. I no longer want to be a part of those that are scared to sacrifice and therefore really let go and live.

“for many be called, but few chosen.” – Matthew 20:16
 
I’ve always lived by the rule of thumb, life’s too short- buy the shoes! However, I don’t want to be a monkey. I’d rather let go of the closet space and seek financial peace. I’d be more satisfied if I skipped Spring Creek’s hot fresh rolls and ran a little extra.

Lesson learned: Once you decide to be freed from the jar, we must trust The One that came to rescue us. After all, The Lord guarantees an orchard of endless fruit if we would just let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment